450 g (1 lb) boneless lamb
4 cloves garlic
2.5 cm (1 in) ginger
45 g (3 tbsp) Ghee (Clarified Butter)
10 g (2 tsp) ground coriander
7 g (1 1/2 tsp) ground cumin
5 g (1 tsp) chilli powder
2.5 g (1 tsp) Garam Masala
5 g (1 tsp) salt
50 ml (2 fl oz) yoghurt, lightly beaten
225 ml (8 fl oz) water
1. Wash and dry the meat. Cut into 2.5 cm (1 in) cubes.
2. In a blender or food processor, blend together the onion, garlic and ginger to a fine paste.
3. Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for 10 seconds. Peel and chop them and put aside.
4. Heat the ghee in a large saucepan and fry the onion paste, stirring constantly, until golden brown.
5. Add the coriander, cumin, chilli, Garam Masala and salt and stir-fry for 1 - 2 minutes.
6. Add the meat and fry for a few minutes with the spices.
7. Add the yoghurt, mix well and fry for a further minute.
8. Add the water and, when it starts to boil, lower the heat. Cover and cook for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Add the tomatoes, stir well to mix, cover again and cook for a further 25 - 30 minutes until the meat is tender and the gravy slightly thickened.