Quick seared scallops with crisp vegetables in a lightly spiced sauce make a delightful starter.
16 medium scallops, halved
oil for deep frying
8 wonton wrappers
45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
1 large carrot, cut into long thin strips
1 large leek, cut into long thin strips
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 orange
2 spring onions, finely sliced
30 ml (2 tbsp) coriander leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the marinade
5 ml (1 tsp) Thai red curry paste
5 ml (1 tsp) grated fresh root ginger
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
1. Make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Add the scallops, toss to coat and leave to marinate for about 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan or deep fryer and deep fry the wonton wrappers in small batches until crisp and golden.
3. When the -wrappers are ready, drain them on kitchen paper and set aside until required.
4. Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the scallops, with the marinade, and sear over a high heat for about 1 minute or until golden, taking care not to overcook (they should feel firm to the touch but not rubbery) . Using a slotted spoon, transfer the scallops to a plate.
5. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan. When hot, add the carrot and leek strips. Toss and turn the vegetables until they start to wilt and soften, but remain crisp. Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in the lemon and orange juices, and add a little more soy sauce if needed.
6. Return the scallops to the pan, mix lightly with the vegetables and heat for just long enough to warm through. Transfer to a bowl and add the spring onions and coriander. To serve, sandwich a quarter of the mixture between two wonton crisps. Make three more "sandwiches" in the same way and serve at once.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!