This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free and Wheat free
serves about 16
Zest and juice from 4 unwaxed lemons
4 large free-range eggs and 4 large free-range egg yolks
300 g (10 1/2 oz) 1 1/2 cups of caster (superfine) sugar
200 g (7 oz) 1 cup of Dairy free margarine
for the ice-cream
100 g (3 1/2 oz) l cup of chopped citrus peel soaked in 2 tablespoons of Cointreau for up to 24 hours before use
4 or 5 x 227 g (8 oz) tubs of thick sheep's yogurt
All the lemon curd from above
2 large free-range egg whites
1. Make the lemon curd first (this can be made up to a week in advance and kept sealed in the refrigerator).
2. Beat the lemon zest and juice with the eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a non-stick saucepan.
3. Place on medium heat and stir the mixture until it warms up and the sugar dissolves.
4. Bring the mixture to boiling point but do not boil, it should be very thick.
5. Remove from the heat immediately, add all the margarine and stir vigorously until it is thoroughly incorporated.
6. Stir frequently while the lemon curd cools down.
7. Transfer to a scalable container and chill until needed. The curd must be cold before it is added to the ice-cream.
8. Marinate the citrus peel in a little bowl, the day before if possible. Keep it cool and covered until needed.
9. Make sure your ice-cream maker is ready when you want to make the ice-cream. if you like a strong lemon flavour then use the smaller amount of yogurt and if you prefer it a little less zingy then use the 5 tubs.
10. Whisk the yogurt with the lemon curd in a very large mixing bowl for at least 6 minutes at medium speed. it will become lighter and slightly increased in volume.
11. Whisk the egg whites until very stiff and then fold into the curd mixture.
12. Fold in the citrus peel and Cointreau.
13. Churn the ice-cream in 2 batches until frozen. Transfer to a scalable container and freeze until needed.
14. You can either buy little (OF) meringue nests to serve the ice-cream in for dinner parties or you can serve it in Gluten free Brandy Snap Baskets.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!