1 kg (2 lb) chuck or skirt steak
2 tablespoons oil
2 onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 1/2 cups beef stock
salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons plain flour
1 x 284 g (10 oz) packet flaky pastry mix
1. Cut steak into cubes.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan, brown meat, remove. Saute onion until transparent, add celery and carrot and cook a few minutes.
3. Return meat, add stock, salt, pepper and nutmeg, cover and simmer gently for 2 hours, until cooked.
4. Blend flour to a smooth paste with a little cold water, add to saucepan, stir until thickened.
5. Adjust seasoning. Place in a 3 to 4 cup pie dish, placing a pie funnel in centre.
6. Make pastry according to directions on packet.
7. Roll out on lightly floured board 4 cm (1 1/2 inches) larger than top of dish.
8. Cut a strip off 1 cm (1/2 inch) wide, place on edge of dish previously moistened with water.
9. Moisten strip of pastry, place pastry top in position. Press edges together, trim and decorate.
10. Glaze with beaten egg. Cut a vent in the centre for steam to escape.
11. Bake in a moderately hot oven 190-200°C (375-400°F) for 25 minutes or until cooked.