All ingredients should be at room temperature.
2 teaspoons dried yeast
1 1/4 cup (300 ml) 1/2 pint lukewarm milk
4 1/2 cups (450 g) 1 lb self-raising flour
1 teaspoon caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 teaspoon salt
2 oz (50 g) lard
1. Mix the yeast with the milk and leave in a warm place until frothy.
2. Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and rub in the lard.
3. Add the yeast mixture and mix to a soft workable dough.
4. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
5. Divide the dough into 28 portions and shape them into balls.
6. Arrange them on baking sheets and flatten them slightly. Leave to prove for 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6 for 15 to 20 minutes.
23 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!