serves 8 - 10
250 g (9 oz) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup (50 g) 2 oz corn flour (corn starch)
25 g (1 oz) cocoa powder
2/3 cup (150 g) 5 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
175 g (6 oz) margarine
3 eggs, beaten
scant 1/2 (us) cup (100 ml) milk
45 g (1 3/4 oz) cocoa powder
3/4 cup (175 g) 6 oz granulated sugar
1 pint (600 ml) water
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, cornflour, cocoa and sugar into a bowl.
2. Rub in the margarine, then mix in the eggs and milk. Beat well.
3. Turn into a deep 18 cm (7 inch) baking tin.
4. For the sauce, mix the cocoa and sugar with a little of the water, then add to the rest of the water in a saucepan.
5. Bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly, then pour over the mixture in the tin.
6. Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5 for about 40 minutes.
7. Turn out upside-down onto a dish to serve.