2 pounds lamb shoulder, cubed
8 medium potatoes, sliced/unpeeled
3 Spanish onions, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups water
1. Using a sharp knife, trim excess fat from meat.
2. Put a layer of sliced potatoes into large stew pot, followed by layer of onions, and then a layer of the cubed meat, sprinkling parsley, thyme, and salt and pepper between the layers.
3. Continue layering and sprinkling, ending with a layer of potatoes on top.
4. Add water to pot, cover the pot and bring contents to a boil.
5. Turn down heat, and gently simmer until meat is quite tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
6. You may have to stir from time to time and add a little water to keep liquid level up.
7. Be careful not to overdo it, however. Irish stew is thick and should not drown in its own broth.