1 stick (8 Tbsp)4 oz (100 g) butter
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz brown sugar
3/4 cup (125 g) 4 oz wholemeal plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
250 g greengages, halved and stoned (seeded)
scant 1/2 (us) cup (100 ml) water
1 tsp arrowroot
1 tbsp Calvados
2 tbsp sugar
284 ml carton whipping cream, whipped
icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) gas mark 5.
2. For the shortbread: Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl. Mix in the wholemeal flour and ginger.
3. Divide the mixture between two 18 cm greased and floured sandwich tins. Mark the shortbread in 8 sections. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until crisp.
4. Turn out the rounds and cool on wire racks.
5. For the filling: Place the greengages in a saucepan with 100 ml of water and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Dissolve the arrowroot in 15 ml of cold water and stir into the cooked greengages along with the Calvados. Bring to the boil to thicken the sauce, stirring continuously. Leave to cool, add sugar to taste if needed.
7. When cool, spoon the greengages over the rounds of shortbread and top with cream. Place the second round on top, cut into 8 sections and serve sprinkled with icing sugar.
14 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!