350 g (12 oz) Shortcrust Pastry
1.5 - 3 ml (1 - 2 tbsp) oil
5 g (1 tsp) fennel seeds
1 slice fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped
75 g (3 oz) potatoes, parboiled and diced
100 g (4 oz) French beans, parboiled, trimmed and sliced
400 g (15 oz) can tomatoes, mashed
5 g (1 tsp) Garam Masala
salt and freshly ground black pepper
beaten egg to glaze
1. Make the pastry and chill for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
2. Heat oil in a pan and when hot, add fennel seeds. Stir in ginger, garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
3. Stir in potatoes and beans. Add enough tomatoes and juice to prevent the mixture sticking.
4. Add garam masala, salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more tomato juice as necessary. Do not make the mixture too wet.
5. Divide the pastry into 4 balls and roll out. Share the mixture between the pastry rounds, crimp together to form pasties and brush with beaten egg.
6. Put pasties on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or until pastry has cooked.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!