1 large onion, peeled and diced
1 carrot, scraped and grated
1 stalk celery, washed and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 slices bacon
15 ml (1 tbsp) oil
100 g (4 oz) lean minced beef
100 g (4 oz) lean minced veal
300 ml (1/2 pt) beef stock or water
425 g (15 oz) canned tomatoes
4 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 bay leaf
5 g (1 tsp) origanum
1/2 tsp basil
1 bouquet garni
salt and freshly ground pepper
15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato puree
150 ml (1/4 pt) red wine
1. Prepare the vegetables making sure that they are diced very finely.
2. Remove strings from the celery with a sharp knife before chopping.
3. Cut the bacon into small pieces having first removed the rind.
4. Heat the oil in the pan and brown all the meat over a medium heat. Remove with a slotted spoon leaving any fat behind.
5. Cook the vegetables in the meat fat adding a little extra oil if necessary, over a low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Put the meat and vegetables into a saucepan with the tomatoes, herbs and seasoning.
7. Lastly add the tomato puree and stir in the wine.
8. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
9. Remove bouquet garni and bay leaf before serving.
10. Serve with spaghetti and other pasta with Parmesan cheese served separately.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!