4 turbot steaks or fillets, about 2.5 cm (1 in) thick
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml fish stock
a little butter
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
6 tablespoons fromage blanc or natural yogurt
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
75g (3 oz)Cheddar cheese, grated
2-3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1. Poach the turbot in the fish stock
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a lightly buttered gratin or baking dish.
3. Combine the mayonnaise, fromage blanc or natural yogurt, lemon juice, pinch each of salt and pepper, and 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
4. Pour over the fillets, and sprinkle over the grated cheese and breadcrumbs.
5. Brown under the grill, or in the oven, and take to the table to serve straight away with sauted potatoes and whole green beans.
6. Alternatively, serve as below with grilled tomatoes and mushrooms on a base of endive or crisp lettuce,