These spicy prawns are stir-fried in moments to make a wonderful starter. Don't forget that you will need to provide your guests with finger bowls.
450 g (1 lb) large raw prawns
2.5 cm (1 in) fresh root ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
5 ml (1 tsp) hot chilli powder
5 ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
10 ml (2 tsp) black mustard seeds
seeds from 4 green cardamom pods, crushed
50 g (2 oz) 4 tbsp ghee or butter
120 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup coconut milk
salt and ground black pepper
30 - 45 ml (2 - 3 tbsp) chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
naan bread, to serve
1. Peel the prawns carefully, leaving the tails attached.
2. Using a small sharp knife, make a slit along the back of each prawn and remove the dark vein. Rinse under cold running water, drain and pat dry.
3. Put the ginger, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric, mustard seeds and cardamom seeds in a bowl. Add the prawns and toss to coat completely with spice mixture.
4. Heat a wok until hot. Add the I ghee or butter and swirl it around until foaming.
5. Add the marinated prawns and stir-fry for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes until they are just turning pink.
6. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 3 - 4 minutes until the prawns are just cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the coriander and serve at once with naan bread.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!