30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
1.5 kg (3 - 3 1/2 lb) leg of lamb, boned and cubed
1 onion, chopped
10 ml (2 tsp) grated fresh root ginger
1 garlic clove, crushed
5 ml (1 tsp) Chinese five-spice powder
30 ml (2 tbsp) hoisin sauce
15 ml (1 tbsp) light soy sauce
300 ml (2 pint) 1 1/4 cups passata
250 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup lamb stock
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 yellow pepper, seeded and diced
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh coriander
15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame seeds, toasted
salt and ground black pepper
boiled rice, to serve
1. Heat 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the oil in a flameproof casserole and brown the lamb in batches over a high heat. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the onion, ginger and garlic to the casserole with a little more oil, if necessary, and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
3. Return the lamb to the casserole. Stir in the five-spice powder, hoisin and soy sauces, passata, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil, cover and cook in a preheated oven at 160°C (325°F) Gas 3 for 1 1/4 hours.
4. Remove the casserole from the oven, stir in the peppers, then cover and return to the oven for a further 1 5 minutes, or until the lamb is cooked and very tender.
5. Sprinkle with the coriander and sesame seeds. Serve hot with rice.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!