serves 4 - 5
2 oz (50 g) dripping (fat from roasted meat)
1 medium onion, chopped
175 g (6 oz) Italian or Patna rice
1 pint (600 ml) stock
1 chicken stock cube
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter or bacon dripping (fat from roasted meat)
50 to 75 g (2 to 3 oz) bacon, chopped
8 oz (225 g) liver, chopped
1 green or red pepper, cored, seeded and sliced
salt and pepper
1. Melt the dripping in a saucepan. Add the onion and fry until golden brown.
2. Add the rice and cook for 3 minutes, stirring well.
3. Stir in 150 ml (1/4 pint) of the stock and the stock cube and bring to the boil.
4. Simmer gently, adding the rest of the stock gradually as it is absorbed.
5. Continue simmering until the rice is tender and all the stock has been absorbed.
6. Meanwhile, melt the butter or bacon dripping in a frying pan.
7. Add the bacon and fry until brown. Add to the rice.
8. Add the liver to the frying pan and fry until lightly browned. Add to the rice.
9. Finally, add the green or red pepper to the frying pan and fry until softened.
10. Add to the rice with salt and pepper.
11. Cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes for the flavours to combine, then serve
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!