makes 4 - 5
25 g (1 oz) bacon fat
1 large onion, sliced
8 oz (225 g) lamb's liver, sliced
8 oz (225 g) bacon pieces, rinded
2 oz (50 g) mushrooms, chopped
1 medium cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
8 oz (225 g) shortcrust pastry
1 tablespoon browned breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon grated cheese
beaten egg to glaze
1. Melt the bacon fat in a frying pan and fry the onion and liver until lightly browned.
2. Mince together the onion, liver and bacon pieces, then add the mushrooms, apple, parsley, rosemary and salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Roll out the dough and cut out 15 cm (6 inch) rounds.
4. Divide the liver mixture between the rounds, then shape the dough up around it to form a Bishop's hat, leaving the mixture exposed in the centre.
5. Mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the exposed centres.
6. Place the churdles on a baking sheet and brush with beaten egg.
7. Bake in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
8. Serve with redcurrant jelly, if you like.
24 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!