200 g (7 oz) ox kidney
3 tbsp (25 g) plain flour
25 g (1 oz) dripping (fat from roasted meat) or lard
1 medium sized onion (100 g approx)
1 large carrot (100 g approx)
1 small turnip (50 g approx)
1 stick of celery
4 cups (1 litre) 1 3/4 pint general household stock
6 black peppercorns
a little extra stock or cold water
1. Skin, core, and cut the kidney into small pieces.
2. Coat with flour. Keep any remaining flour to thicken the soup at the end.
3. Heat the fat in a large saucepan.
4. Fry the kidney lightly until just browned, then remove from the pan.
5. Prepare and slice the vegetables.
6. Fry them in the fat for about 5 minutes until they begin to brown.
7. Drain off any excess fat. Add the stock, bouquet garni, and seasoning.
8. Heat to boiling point, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer gently for 2 hours.
9. Remove the bouquet garni and strain the soup. Reserve a few pieces of kidney for the garnish.
10. Puree the rest of the kidney and add to the soup.
12. Blend any remaining flour with a little stock or water, add it to the soup, and stir until boiling.
13. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
14. Chop the reserved kidney pieces and add to the soup.
15. Re-season if required.