The Chinese, who originated the stir-fry method of cooking, consider it unlucky to cut food straight across, which is why the ingredients in their dishes are always cut on a slant. Served with a little boiled or fried rice, this dish makes a complete meal for four. You can vary the ingredients to include green pepper, carrot, cucumber and Chinese leaves.
Preparation time : 20 minutes,
Cooking time : 12 minutes,
Calories per serving: 280
1 lb (450 g) turkey breast fillets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 red pepper
2 oz (50 g) dwarf corn spears
2 oz (50 g) button mushrooms
5 spring onions
2 oz (50 g) mangetout
3 tablespoons sunflower or olive oil
1 clove garlic
2 oz (50 g) broccoli florets
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
4 oz (115 g) bean sprouts
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1. Cut the turkey fillets into strips about 2 in (50 mm) long and 1/4 in (5 mm) thick. Season with salt and black pepper. De-seed the pepper, top and tail the courgette and cut both into thin strips.
2. Cut the corn spears in half, slice the mushrooms and cut the spring onions into 1 in (25 mm) lengths. Top and tail the mangetout. Preheat a large serving dish.
3. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the turkey fillets and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring continually, until they are golden-brown. Remove the turkey from the wok or pan with a draining spoon and put it to one side.
4. Add the remaining oil to the pan and peel and crush the garlic. Place the garlic, pepper, broccoli florets, courgette and corn spears in the pan and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
5. Then add the mangetout, mushrooms and spring onions, cook for 2 minutes and reduce the heat. Replace the turkey fillets and pour over the soy sauce. Stir in the bean sprouts and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes, until the meat is piping hot.
6. As soon as it is done, carefully turn the mixture into the preheated serving dish. Sprinkle with the sesame oil and the toasted sesame seeds. Serve the dish immediately.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!