Preparation time 15 minutes,
Cooking time 50 minutes,
Oven temperature 160°C, 325°F, gas 3,
Calories 615 per portion
2 tablespoons oil
1 onion, sliced into rings
1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced into rings
25 g (1 oz) plain flour
pinch of mustard powder
salt and pepper
8 lamb's kidneys, cored and halved
450 g (1 lb) cocktail sausages, or skinless chipolatas, cut into chunks
400 g (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes
300 ml (1/2 pint) beef stock
chopped parsley to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and pepper in the oil for a few minutes. Transfer to a casserole.
2. Mix together the flour, mustard, salt and pepper and toss the kidneys and sausages in the seasoned flour.
3. Cook the kidneys and sausages in the remaining oil until brown on all sides and transfer to the casserole.
4. Mix in the tomatoes and beef stock, cover the casserole with a lid and cook in a moderate oven for 30 - 40 minutes.
5. Garnish with parsley and serve the casserole with boiled rice, or mashed potato, piped and browned in the oven if liked.
Vary the flavour of plain rice by adding a pinch of turmeric, herbs, lemon rind or chopped spring onions.
30 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!