3 litres (5 pints) water
salt and freshly milled white pepper
1 bay leaf
3 juniper berries
3 white peppercorns
1 kg (2 lb) shin of veal
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons oil
225 g (8 oz) button mushrooms
450 g (1 lb) courgettes
50 g (2 oz) butter
generous pinch each of dried basil and thyme
100 ml (4 fl oz) creme fraiche
1. Wash and halve 1 onion (without peeling). Bring the water to the boil in a large saucepan with a little salt, the bouquet garni, onion, bay leaf, juniper berries and peppercorns. Add the veal and boil it for 30 minutes in an open pan.
2. Remove the veal from the saucepan, reserving the stock, wipe the meat dry and rub with salt, pepper and the paprika. Heat the oil in a roasting tin on the hob and seal the veal, then transfer the tin to a hot oven (220°C, 425°F, gas 7) and bake on the bottom shelf for 45 minutes.
3. Spoon 450 ml (3/4 pint) of the stock around the meat.
4. Chop the remaining onions. Trim and slice the mushrooms. Dice the courgettes and cut the tomatoes into quarters.
5. Braise the vegetables in the butter, season to taste and add the basil and thyme. Serve the vegetables with the meat. Strain the roasting juices and thicken them with the creme fraiche.