if you ask at the meat market for soup bones, you will get bones with meat attached
555 calories per serving
450 g (1 lb) lentils
1 bouquet garni
4 soup bones, washed
for the dumplings:
150 g (5 oz) semolina
375 ml (13 fl oz) milk
pinch of grated nutmeg
to complete the casserole:
2 tablespoons concentrated tomato puree
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon thyme
225 g (8 oz) smoked pork sausage
1. Soak the lentils in water for 12 hours.Wash and coarsely chop the bouquet garni. Spike the onion with the cloves.
2. Simmer the lentils in the soaking water with the bouquet garni, onion, bones and a generous pinch of salt for 1 hour in a covered casserole.
3. Simmer the semolina in the milk with a pinch each of salt and nutmeg, stirring continuously until the mixture comes away from the base of the pan.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and beat in the eggs. Spread the dough on a wet board, cut into 5 mm (1/4 in) wide strips and scrape into boiling water. Dip the knife into cold water after each cut.
5. The dumplings are cooked when they rise to the top of the pan. Lift out.
6. Remove the onion and bones from the lentils. Stir in the tomato puree and seasonings. Slice the sausage and warm through in the casserole.
46 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!