2 x 75g (2 x 2 3/4 oz) baking potatoes, scrubbed
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp dried oregano 250 g (9 oz) aubergine, diced
100 g (3 1/4 oz), peeled weight, onion, sliced
175 g (6 oz) deseeded mixed peppers, diced
200 g (7 oz) canned tomatoes, chopped
400 ml (14 fl oz) 0% fat natural yoghurt
2 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp English mustard powder
200 g (7 oz) silken tofu, sliced
85 g (3 oz) beef tomato, cut into 3 mm (1/8 inch) slices
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
2. Bake the potatoes in their skins in the oven for 45 minutes, then remove and cut into 3 mm (1/8 inch) slices.
3. Mix the lemon juice, oil, sugar, garlic, cumin and oregano together in a small bowl, then lightly brush over diced aubergine, reserving the remaining mixture. Spread out on a nonstick baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
4. Heat the reserved lemon juice mixture in a small saucepan over a high heat, add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add the canned tomatoes, reduce the heat and simmer for 4 minutes.
5. In a separate saucepan, whisk the yoghurt and cornflour together, then bring to the boil, whisking constantly until the yoghurt boils and thickens (you must whisk constantly or the yoghurt will separate before thickening). When the yoghurt has thickened, remove from the heat and whisk in the mustard powder.
6. In an ovenproof dish, make as many separate layers of the ingredients as you can, with sauce in between, such as tofu, sauce, onion and peppers, sauce, aubergine, sauce, potato, sauce and tofu, then finish with a layer of beef tomato topped with sauce.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!