150 g (5 1/2 oz), peeled weight, shallots, left whole
5 g (1/8 oz) sprigs of thyme, plus extra to garnish
2 bay leaves
200 ml (7 fl oz) water
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
250 g (9 oz) cooked beetroot, cut into 3 cm (1 1/4 inch) wedges
rapeseed or vegetable oil spray
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
2. Put the shallots, thyme, bay leaves, water and pepper into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Cook until the liquid is reduced and the sugar in the shallots has made it lightly syrupy.
3. Add the beetroot and stir to coat in the syrup. Transfer to a non-stick baking tray.
4. Spray the shallots and beetroot lightly with the oil and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until caramelised.
5. Serve in a warmed serving dish, garnished with thyme sprigs.
¢â‚¬Â¢ Try this recipe with fresh rosemary instead of the thyme and serve with your favourite lamb dish.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!