boned leg of lamb, about 1.8 kg (4 lb)
8 tbsp balsamic vinegar
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
150 ml (1/4 pint) 2/3 cup sunflower oil
4 tbsp chopped, fresh mint
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
salt and pepper
grilled (broiled) vegetables
green salad leaves
1. Open out the boned leg of lamb so 1 that its shape resembles a butterfly. Thread 2 - 3 skewers through the meat in order to make it easier to turn on the barbecue (grill).
2. Combine the balsamic vinegar, lemon rind and juice, oil, mint, garlic, sugar and salt and pepper to taste in a non-metallic dish that is large enough to hold the lamb.
3. Place the lamb in the dish and turn it over a few times so that the meat is coated on both sides with the marinade. Leave to marinate for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight, turning occasionally.
4. Remove the lamb from the marinade and reserve the liquid for basting.
5. Place the rack about 15 cm/6 inches above the coals and barbecue (grill) the lamb for about 30 minutes on each side, turning once and basting frequently with the marinade.
6. Transfer the lamb to a chopping board and remove the skewers. Cut the lamb into slices across the grain and serve.
If you prefer, cook the lamb for half the cooking time in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F/ Gas Mark 4, then finish off on the barbecue (grill)