4 - 6 servings
3 Tbs Vegetable oil
6 slices Streaky (fatty) bacon, chopped
2 1/2 kg (5 lb) Chicken, cut into serving pieces
40 g (1 1/2 oz) 1/3 cup Seasoned flour (flour with salt and pepper to taste)
2 Onions, chopped
1 Garlic clove, crushed
425 g (14 oz) Canned peeled tomatoes
75 g (3 oz) Canned pimientos, drained
2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Ground saffron
1 tsp Salt
600 ml (1 pint) 2 1/2 cups Water
225 g (8 oz) 1 1/3 cups Long-grain rice, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes and drained
175 g (6 oz) 1 cup Frozen peas, thawed
1. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole. Add the bacon and fry until it is crisp and has rendered its fat. Transfer the bacon to kitchen towels to drain.
2. Coat the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. Add the pieces to the casserole and fry until they are evenly browned. Using tongs, transfer the pieces to a plate.
3. Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 35°°F).
4. Drain off most of the oil from the casserole and add the onions and garlic. Fry until they are soft. Arrange the chicken pieces over the onions and add the tomatoes and can juice, the pimientos, paprika, saffron, salt and water. Bring to the boil, then stir in the rice. Cover the casserole and put into the oven. Cook for 35 minutes. Stir in the peas and bacon and cook for a further 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are cooked through and tender.
5. Remove the casserole from the oven and serve at once.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!