1/2 daikon root
2 young carrots
2 crisp lettuce hearts
2 green celery stalks
2 thick slices lean cooked ham (approx. 8 oz (225 g) total weight)
for the sambai zu dressing:
2 tbsp Japanese light soy sauce
2 tbsp Japanese rice vinegar (or cider vinegar, see method)
6 tbsp sunflower oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Trim and peel the vegetables, wash and drain well. Tear the larger lettuce leaves into small pieces.
2. Use a mandoline cutter or food processor to slice the daikon root and carrot into wafer-thin rounds and the celery into very thin pieces cutting across the stalk.
3. Mix all these in a large bowl. Cut the ham into strips.
4. Make the dressing: mix 2 pinches of salt, a little freshly ground pepper, the soy sauce and the vinegar in a bowl. If using cider vinegar, use 1 1/2 tbsp and add 1/2 tbsp of cold water and a generous pinch of caster sugar.
5. Keep beating with a balloon whisk as you gradually add the oil to form an emulsion.
6. Add this dressing to the salad and mix well; transfer to individual plates and place four ham strips on top of each serving.
28 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!