4 oz (100 g) blended vegetable fat
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1 2/3 cup (175 g) plain flour (All purpose)
pinch of salt
3 tbsp (45 ml) cold water
for the filling
1 tbsp (15 ml) milk
1 cup (180 g) Demerara (raw) sugar
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt maple or corn syrup
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter, softened
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla essence
175 g (6 oz) pecan nuts, halved
1. Cream together the white fat and butter. Gradually stir in the sifted flour and salt, cream well after each addition. Add the water and mix thoroughly with the hands.
2. Knead lightly with extra flour, as this pastry is sticky to handle. Chill.
3. Roll out the pastry and line a 23-cm (9-in) ovenproof flan dish; flute the edge.
4. Chill this case while preparing the filling.
5. Heat the eggs and milk together.
6. Boil the sugar and syrup together in a saucepan for 3 minutes.
7. Slowly pour on to the beaten eggs and stir in the butter and essence.
8. Use half the nuts to cover the base of the pastry case,
9. Spoon the syrup mixture over and cover with the remaining nuts.
10. Bake in the oven at 220°C (425°F) gas mark 7 for 10 minutes.
11. Reduce the heat to 170°C (325°F) gas mark 3 and cook for a further 45 minutes, until the filling is set.
12. Serve warm or cold with unsweetened whipped cream.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!