This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
makes about 10 slices
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/3 cup of dried cranberries
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/3 cup of dried cherries
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of dried chopped dates
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup of hot black china tea
The grated rind of 1 orange
3 tablespoons of orange juice
140 g (5 oz) 2/3 cup of pear or apple puree, unsweetened
140 g (5 oz) 1 cup of potato flour
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 2/3 cup of rice flour
1 heaped teaspoon of cream of tartar
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
140 g (5 oz) 2/3 cup of Dairy free margarine
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 1 generous cup of ground almonds
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1 cup of flaked almonds
1 free-range egg, beaten
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of carrot grated
2 teaspoons Gluten free mixed (pie) spice
1 kg (2.2 lb) loaf tin, greased and lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
2. Mix the fruit with the boiling hot tea, orange rind and juice in a bowl and leave to cool.
3. Add the fruit puree and blend in.
4. In another bowl, sift the flours and mix in the cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda).
5. Then, using a blunt-ended knife, mix in the margarine until it resembles crumbs.
6. Add the ground almonds and half the flaked almonds, the fruit with its liquid, egg, carrot and spice.
7. Spoon into the prepared tin and sprinkle with the remaining flaked almonds.
8. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 50 minutes or until an insetted skewer comes out clean.
9. Cool and turn out onto a rack until cold. Serve in slices.
9 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!