1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500 g lamb mince
400 g can chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato puree
125 ml red wine
2 tbsp gravy granules
3 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
salt and freshly ground pepper
oil for shallow frying
750 g aubergines, sliced
50 g butter
50 g plain flour
600 ml milk
125 g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
2. Place the onion, garlic and minced lamb in a saucepan, and cook for 4-5 minutes, until browned.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, wine, gravy granules, parsley and seasoning, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, fry the aubergines in batches in the oil for 3-4 minutes, until golden. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and reserve.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
6. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk.
7. Return to the heat and cook, stirring continuously, until thick and smooth. Add seasoning and 25 g of the cheese. Set to one side.
8. Layer 1/3 of the aubergines in an ovenproof dish and spoon over 1/2 the mince mixture. Repeat the layers finishing with a layer of aubergines.
9. Spoon the sauce over the aubergines and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
30 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!