1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
75 g button mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
225 g pack of smoked prime gammon steaks
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 slicing tomato, sliced
150 g pack mozzarella, sliced
olive oil to drizzle
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a small frying pan, stir in the onion and mushrooms and fry until tender and slightly caramelized. Add the dried herbs and fry for a further minute.
2. Snip on the diagonal at regular intervals with a pair of scissors the fat along the edge of the meat. This prevents the steak from curling on cooking.
3. Grill the gammon steaks following instructions on the pack.
4. Smooth a tbsp of tomato puree over each steak. Arrange the tomato slices on each steak and top with the the sauteed onion and mushroom mixture.
5. Arrange on the mozzarella cheese slices and drizzle with olive oil and add seasoning.
6. Place under a moderate grill until golden brown, melted and bubbling.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!