225 to 350 g (8 to 12 oz) mixed dried beans (haricot, kidney, butter, flageolet, etc.), soaked overnight
6 tablespoons garlicky French dressing
2 eating apples, cored and diced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 small onion, very thinly sliced
200 g (7 oz) canned tuna fish, drained and flaked
lettuce to serve
Watercress (salad cress) and lemon slices to garnish
1. Drain the beans and put in a saucepan.
2. Cover with fresh cold water, add salt and bring to the boil.
3. Simmer for about 1 hour or until tender. Drain well and place in a bowl.
4. Add the dressing, toss thoroughly and cool.
5. Dip the apple dice in the lemon juice, then add to the beans with the onion and tuna.
6. Mix well, then cover and leave for 20 minutes.
7. Line a serving dish with lettuce leaves and spoon on the bean and tuna salad.
8. Garnish with watercress and lemon slices.