1. Grease a 1 litre (1 3/4 pint) pie dish.
2. Set the oven at 220°C (425°F) gas 7.
3. Peel and core the apples. Slice them into a saucepan and add the lemon rind and juice, 50 g (2 oz) of the butter, and sugar.
4. Cover the pan and cook the apples until very soft.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly.
6. Stir the eggs into the apple mixture and beat well.
7. Put half the stale breadcrumbs into the prepared pie dish, cover with the apple mixture, and sprinkle with the remaining crumbs.
8. Dot with the remaining butter and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
9. Serve with Vanilla Custard.