2 1/2 lb flour, warmed and sieved
3 tbsp (25 g) yeast creamed with 1 tsp sugar
up to 2 pints warm milk
3/4 - 1 cup (175 - 225 g) 6 - 8 oz butter or margarine
3/4 - 1 cup (4 - 6 oz) currants, cleaned by being rubbed with a little flour on a wire sieve
1/2 cup (8 tbsp) 100 g sugar
sweetened milk or sugar syrup
for the glaze
1/4 cup (2 oz) sugar
1/4 pint water
1. Into a warm bowl put 1 1/4 lb flour; make a well and pour into it the yeast and about a quarter of the milk, enough to make a soft dough; add a little more if required.
2. Mix well and beat with the hand. Cover and let this sponge rise for 30-40 minutes.
3. Warm the remaining milk and melt the butter in it. Pour into this the beaten eggs.
4. Mix with the risen sponge, fruit, remaining flour, and sugar. Beat and set to rise in a warm place, covered, for an hour or two.
5. Bake in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes.
6. When cooked take from the oven, glaze well with sweetened milk or sugar syrup, and replace for a moment or two for glaze to dry.
to make sugar syrup for glazing
1. Boil the sugar and water together for a few minutes and brush over the sweet buns.