2 oz (50 g) streaky bacon, chopped
1 onion, skinned and chopped
2 sticks of celery, cleaned and chopped
2 cups (225 g) 8 oz self-raising flour
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt milk
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) mixed dried herbs
1. Fry the bacon in its own fat. Add the onion and celery and fry until soft. Allow to cool.
2. Sift the flour and 2.5 ml (1/2 level tsp) salt together and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Beat the egg and milk together. Season and add parsley and mixed herbs.
4. Add the bacon mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir in the milk and egg and mix to a soft batter consistency. Turn the mixture into a well-buttered 450 g (1 lb) loaf tin or 16 cm (6 inch) cake tin.
5. Bake in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 50 - 60 minutes, until well risen and golden brown. Turn out and serve hot or cold, sliced and spread with butter. Serve with soup, cheese or cold meats and salad.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!