shortcrust pastry made with 450 g flour
450 g curd or sieved cottage cheese
6 eggs, separated
1 cup (225 g) 1/2 lb caster sugar (superfine granulated)
5/8 cup (60 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1/2 tsp almond essence
3 tbsps ground almonds
300 ml double or whipping cream
1 cup (100 g) 4 oz blanched almonds, chopped
for the topping
icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
4 tbsp raspberry jam
Oven: 160°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3
1. Roll out half the dough and use to line the bottom of a greased loose-bottomed 25-30 cm/10-12 inch round cake tin.
2. To make the filling, soften the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg yolks, 100g/4oz of the sugar, the flour, almond essence, ground almonds and cream.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the remaining sugar. Fold lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture, together with the chopped nuts.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
5. Roll out the remaining dough and cut into thin strips, about 1 cm/1/2 inch wide. Arrange in a criss-cross lattice on top of the cheese filling.
6. Brush the strips with beaten egg.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours or until firm but still spongy to the touch.
8. Turn off the oven, open the door and leave the cheesecake there for 1 hour. Chill for 3-4 hours.
9. Ease the sides of the tin carefully away from the cheesecake and lift out on the tin base.
10. Dust with icing sugar and fill the squares with jam.