This is a light and fruity version of the traditional trifle. Choose apples like Granny Smith's or Cox's Orange Pippins for their excellent taste. You can try using different fruits and jams with this recipe.
Preparation time : 30 minutes,
Chilling Time : 3 - 4 hours,
cooking time : 15 minutes,
Calories per serving: 215
2 lb (900 g) apples
4 oz (115 g) granulated sugar
3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
6 oz (175 g) stale fatless sponge cake or trifle sponge cakes
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
12 oz (350 g) thick Greek yoghurt
1 red apple
1 tablespoon lemon juice
accompaniments (you may need these)
1. Peel, quarter, core and slice the apples. Finely grate the lemon rind and squeeze the juice. Put the apples into a saucepan with the sugar, lemon rind and juice. Cover and cook gently for 15-20 minutes until the apples are soft.
Place a large sieve over a bowl, and drain the apples in the sieve. Allow to cool.
2. Mix 8 tablespoons of the apple juice with the Grand Marnier. Cut the sponge cake into slices, and lay out half of them in a glass serving dish.
3. Spoon half of the Grand Marnier flavoured juice over the sponge, and then spread with half of the apples. Repeat with the remaining sponge cake, juice and apples, spreading the apples smoothly.
4. Spread the marmalade evenly over the apple slices. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours, or overnight.
5. Put 2 - 3 tablespoons of yoghurt into a piping bag and spread the remainder over the top of the trifle. Pipe the reserved yoghurt around the edge. Decorate with red apple slices tossed in the lemon juice to prevent browning.
6. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
14 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!