6 quails, each weighing 200 g (7 oz)
2 oz (50 g) dried morels/wild brown mushrooms)
4 tbsp dry sherry
1 slice bread
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml single cream
1 bunch chervil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
250 g (9 oz) sausage meat
1 tbsp oil
3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g butter
1. Soak mushroooms in sherry.
2. Cut crusts off bread, cube and sprinkle with 2 tbsp cream.
3. Bone quails, except for wings and legs.
4. Peel and finely chop shallot. Wash, dry and finely chop chervil.
5. Rub each quail well with 1 pinch salt and pepper. Combine shallot, sausagemeat, chervil, nutmeg, soft bread, remaining salt and pepper with drained whole morels, reserving the sherry.
6. Stuff quails with this mixture and truss.
7. Preheat oven to 200°C (425°F) Gas Mark 7.
8. Heat oil and butter in large pan. Brown quails in this before putting into roasting pan, pouring over remaining fat, sherry and cream and roasting on lowest shelf of oven for 30 minutes.
9. At end of this time, switch off heat and leave quail in oven for 5 minutes longer.
10. Serve with sauteed fresh morels.