makes 10-12 slices
125 g (5 oz) self raising flour
25 g (1 oz) cocoa
7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder 150 g (6 oz) butter
3 size 3 eggs
150 g (6 oz) caster sugar
90 ml (6 tbsp) cherry jam
100 g (4 oz) plain chocolate
150 ml (1/4 pint) double cream, whipped
425 g (15 oz) can black cherries
10 ml (2 tsp) arrowroot
1. Place the flour, cocoa, baking powder, butter, eggs and caster sugar into the processor bowl and process for 20 seconds until light and fluffy. After 10 seconds stop the machine and scrape down ingredients.
2. Divide the mixture between 2 greased 7 inch sandwich tins.
3. Bake in the centre of the oven at 180°C, 350°F, Gas No. 4 for 25-30 minutes. After 5 minutes turn out onto a wire cooling rack and cool.
4. Sandwich together with some of the jam. Spread the sides with the rest of the jam.
5. Using the processor, grate the chocolate. Use to cover the sides. Pipe the whipped cream around the top of the cake. Drain cherries and place on the cake.
6. Mix the arrowroot with a little of the cherry juice. Heat rest of juice in a saucepan and bring to the boil and glaze cherries.