1. Put the flour and plenty of salt and pepper in a bag.
2. Shell the eggs and dry them very thoroughly on kitchen paper.
3. Add the eggs to the bag of seasoned flour and shake to coat them thoroughly.
4. Divide the sausagemeat into 4 equal portions and use to cover each egg, ensuring that there are no cracks in the coating.
5. Brush with beaten egg and coat in the breadcrumbs. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before frying.
6. Heat the oil to 375°F. (If you do not have a thermometer, drop a cube of day-old bread into the oil. If the oil is hot enough, the bread will sink to the bottom, then rise to the surface and brown within 60 seconds.)
7. Fry the eggs in the oil for about 5 minutes or until they are golden brown all over and the sausagemeat is cooked through.
8. Lift them out, drain thoroughly on kitchen paper and allow to become quite cold.