2 1/2 lb (1.1 kg) honeycomb tripe
1 pig's trotter, chopped into 6-8 pieces
2 3/4 cups (21 fl oz) 600 ml dry white wine
1/2 pt (280 ml) water
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp olive_ oil 2 cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
3 or 4 pieces of sun-dried tomato, cut into strips) or 3 fresh ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
salt and pepper
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
grated zest of a lemon
1. Rinse the tripe, dry it well and cut it into squares.
2. put the pig's trotter in a small saucepan with the wine and water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 3-4 hours.
3. When you drain the pig's trotter, keep the stock.
4. Then prepare the rest of the dish. In a heavy-based pan, fry the onion in the olive oil until golden brown, add the spices and fry them for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the tripe and garlic to the pan and turn up the heat to evaporate all the moisture from the tripe.
6. Add the tomatoes, the pig's trotter and about 1/2 pt (280 ml) of the stock. Cover and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes, adding more liquid as necessary.
7. Transfer the tripe and pig's trotter to a serving dish. Reduce the liquid to a rich gravy. Season to taste and pour over the tripe.
Sprinkle with the parsley and lemon zest.
13 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!