A classic dish which combines the soft succulent texture of trout with the crisp crunchy bite of fried almonds, Trout with almonds makes an ideal luncheon dish or fish course for a formal dinner party.
4 trout, gutted and cleaned, with the heads on
Flour for coating
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Butter for frying
50 g (2 oz) flaked blanched almonds
Juice of 1 lemon
4 lemon wedges
Few parsley sprigs
1. Coat the fish in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
2. Melt a knob of butter in a large frying pan. Add the almonds and fry gently, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden-brown, being careful that the butter does not begin to burn.
3. Remove the almonds from the pan with a slotted spoon. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and keep warm.
4. Wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper and add another knob of butter. When it has melted, add the trout and cook gently for 5 to 8 minutes on each side or until the trout is tender. Test with a fork: the flesh should flake easily.
5. Transfer the fish to a hot serving platter, sprinkle with the almonds and lemon juice and serve immediately garnished with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs.
19 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!