3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g butter
4 level tbsps (60 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
1/3 cup (65 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 tbsp (15 ml) brandy
pinch of ground ginger
2 oz (50 g) stem ginger, chopped
4 large eggs, separated
double cream (heavy cream)
1. Butter an 18-cm, 1 .7 litre (7 inch 3pt) souffle dish.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour then gradually add the milk.
3. Bring to the boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the sugar, brandy and ginger. Beat in the egg yolks, then fold in the stiffly whisked egg whites.
5. Turn the mixture into the souffle dish and bake for about 45 minutes at 180°C (350°f) mark 4 until well risen and just firm to the touch.
6. Serve at once. Top each serving with a spoonful of ginger syrup and unwhipped double cream.