serves 4 - 8
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml pouring batter (see basic pancake mix)
2 cups (4 oz) 120g fresh white breadcrumbs
1/3 cup (75 g) butter
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 lb (700 g) cooking (tart) apples, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup (4 Tbls) 50 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 level tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
1. Make the pancakes from the pouring batter
2. Fry the crumbs in 50 g (2 oz) butter until golden, turning often.
3. Place the remaining butter, lemon rind, juice, apples, sugar and cinnamon in a pan, cover and cook gently until pureed. Add the fried crumbs.
4. Divide this mixture between the pancakes. Roll them up. Place side by side in a single layer in a hot, ovenproof dish.
5. Cover with foil. Heat in the oven at 170°C (325°F) mark 3 for about 20 minutes.
6. Dust heavily with icing sugar before serving. Serves 4 - 8.