1.4 kg (3 lb) loin of pork, salted and chined
700 g (25 oz) can of sauerkraut, drained
25 g (1 oz) dripping (fat from roasted meat)
1 large onion, skinned and sliced
few juniper berries
few carawray seeds
1 1/4 cup (300 ml) 1/2 pint stock or water
pinch of sugar
1. Remove the skin from the pork; trim off most of the fat.
2. Place the sauerkraut in a dish large enough to take the meat.
3. Melt the dripping in a frying pan and saute the onion for a few minutes. Then add it to the sauerkraut, with the bayleaf, juniper berries, caraway seeds, stock and sugar. Put the meat on top, fat side uppermost.
4. Cover and cook in the oven at 170°C (325f) mark 3 for about 1 3/4 hours,
5. Serve with boiled potatoes or potato dumplings