8 oz (225 g) shortcrust pastry
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
8 oz (225 g) onions, skinned and thinly sliced
salt and freshly ground pepper
120g (4 1/2 oz) can sardines in olive oil
2 medium,eggs beaten
1. Roll out the pastry thinly and use to line a 21.5cm (8 1/2-inch) loose-bottomed, French fluted flan tin.
2. Melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the onions until soft but not brown. Add salt and pepper, then leave to cool.
3. Drain the sardines and discard the tails.
4. Place the onions in the pastry case, pile up a little under each sardine - these are positioned like the spokes of a wheel.
5. Season the beaten eggs and make up to 300 ml with milk.
6. Carefully spoon the egg mixture round the sardines.
7. Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 20 minutes.
8. Reduce the oven temperature to 175°C (325°F) mark 3 and cook for a further 20 minutes.
9. Serve cold with lemon wedges.
20 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!