Preparation time 20 minutes,
Cooking time 20 minutes,
Oven temperature 200°C, 400°F, gas 6,
Calories 250 per portion
4 large courgettes
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon oil
50 g (2 oz) Lancashire cheese, grated
25 g (1 oz) butter
25 g (1 oz) plain flour
300 ml (1/2 pint) milk
salt and pepper
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
watercress sprigs to garnish
1. Cut the courgettes in half lengthways, scoop out the middle and chop finely.
2. Cook the onion in the oil until soft. Mix with the chopped courgette and cheese.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Gradually add the milk, stirring continuously. Add the courgette and cheese mixture, season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the filling into the courgette shells and place in an ovenproof dish.
5. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and bake in a moderately hot oven for about 20 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with sprigs of watercress.
For an attractive main dish, cook swedes and carrots together, drain and mash. Pipe between the courgettes in the dish, top with grated cheese and bake as above.
157 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!