Preparation time: 20 minutes.
Cooking time: 45-55 minutes.
Oven temperature: 180°C, 350°F, gas 4.
Calories: 174 per portion
225 g (8 oz) fresh or frozen spinach, cooked, drained thoroughly and chopped
15 g (1/2 oz) fresh mint, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon vinegar
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper
1/2 small boned leg of lamb (knuckle end), about 400 g (14 oz)
175 ml (6 fl oz) red wine
fresh mint sprigs, to garnish
1. Mix the spinach with the mint, garlic, vinegar, sugar and add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Trim every scrap of fat off the lamb. Lay it out flat with the boned side up and spread the spinach mixture over.
3. Fold the meat over and secure with string as if tying a parcel. Lay the meat in a roasting dish or pan and pour over the red wine, adding a little water if the pan is much larger than the meat.
4. Cook in the oven for 45-55 minutes, depending on how well done you like lamb.
5. Transfer to a hot carving platter and cut into thick slices. Pour off the excess fat from the roasting pan and pour the remaining juices over the lamb slices. Serve immediately with rice, garnishing the lamb with fresh mint.
Ask the butcher to remove the bone but do not let him roll the lamb. The piece of meat should be roughly triangular.
16 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!