1 tsp orange zest
85 g (3 oz) fresh strawberries
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp arrowroot
1 tsp Cointreau
5 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
6 tbsp buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp sugar
1/2 oz cooked meringue, broken into 5 mm (1/4 inch) pieces
85 g (3 oz) fresh raspberries, plus extra to decorate
blanched strips of orange zest, to decorate
1. Mix the orange zest, strawberries and 1-2 grinds of black pepper together in a bowl.
2. Blend the arrowroot with the Cointreau. Put the orange juice into a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Gradually stir in the arrowroot mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from the heat, cover with clingfilm to prevent a skin forming and leave to cool completely.
3. Mix the buttermilk, vanilla extract and sugar together in a separate bowl.
4. Divide the strawberry mixture between 2 glasses, then pour over the thickened orange juice. Sprinkle the crumbled meringue on the strawberries, top with the raspberries and finally the vanilla buttermilk.
5. Decorate with a few extra raspberries and orange zest strips.
¢â‚¬Â¢ These trifles are best arranged in the glass just before serving so that the meringue layer remains crunchy.
11 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!