serves 4 - 6
oil for frying
175 g (6 oz) rice vermicelli
15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped garlic
4 - 6 dried chillies, seeded and chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped shallot
15 ml (1 tbsp) dried shrimps, rinsed
115 g (4 oz) minced pork
115 g (4 oz) uncooked shelled prawns, chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) brown bean sauce
30 ml (2 tbsp) rice wine vinegar
45 ml (3 tbsp) fish sauce
75 g (3 tbsp) palm sugar
30 ml (2 tbsp) tamarind or lime juice
115 g (4 oz) beansprouts
for the garnish
2 spring onions, shredded
30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh coriander leaves
2 heads pickled garlic (optional)
2-egg omelette, rolled and sliced
2 red chillies, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a wok. Break the rice vermicelli apart into small handfuls about 7.5 cm (3 in) long. Deep fry in the hot oil until they puff up. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
2. Leave 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the hot oil in the wok, add the garlic, chillies, shallots and shrimps. Fry until fragrant.
3. Add the minced pork and stir-fry until it is no longer pink, about 3 - 4 minutes. Add the prawns and fry for a further 2 minutes. Remove the mixture and set aside.
4. To the same wok, add the brown bean sauce, vinegar, fish sauce and palm sugar. Bring to a gentle boil, stir to dissolve the sugar and cook until thick and syrupy.
5. Add the tamarind or lime juice and adjust the seasoning. It should be sweet, sour and salty.
6. Reduce the heat. Add the pork and prawn mixture, and beansprouts to the sauce, stir to mix.
7. Add the rice noodles and toss gently to coat them with the sauce without breaking the noodles too much. Transfer the noodles to a platter. Garnish with spring onions, coriander leaves, pickled garlic, omelette strips and red chillies.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!