makes 2 - 3 x 300 g (11 oz ) jars
1 fresh red chilli, seeded and sliced
1 onion, quartered
2 garlic cloves, crushed
l cm (1/2 in) cube terasi
4 macadamia nuts or 8 almonds
2.5 cm (1 in) fresh turmeric, peeled and sliced, or 5 ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
50 ml (2 fl oz) 1/4 cup sunflower oil
475 ml (16 fl oz) 2 cups white vinegar
250 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup water
25 - 50 g (1 - 2 oz) granulated sugar
225 g (8 oz) green beans
1 small cauliflower
225 g (8 oz) white cabbage
115 g (4 oz) dry-roasted peanuts, roughly crushed
1. Place the chilli, onion, garlic, terasi, nuts and turmeric in a food processor and blend to a paste, or pound in a mortar with a pestle.
2. Heat the oil and stir-fry the paste to release the aroma. Add the vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Bring to :he boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Cut the carrots into flower shapes. Cut the green beans into short, neat lengths. Separate the cauliflower into neat, bite-size florets. Peel and seed the cucumber and cut the flesh in neat, bite-size pieces. Cut the cabbage in neat, bite-size pieces.
4. Blanch each vegetable separately, in a large pan of boiling water, for 1 minute. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water, to halt the cooking. Drain well.
5. Add the vegetables to the sauce. Slowly bring to the boil and allow to cook for 5 - 10 minutes. Do not overcook — the vegetables should still be crunchy.
6. Add the peanuts and cool. Spoon into clean jars with lids.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!