If you prefer, substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger for the grated root ginger. Light muscovado
sugar gives the best flavour, but you can use ordinary soft brown sugar instead. You can make this dessert
indoors by cooking the pineapple under a hot grill (broiler).
1 fresh pineapple
125 g (4 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup butter
90 g (3 oz) 1/2 cup light muscovado sugar
1 tsp finely grated root ginger
225 g (8 oz) 1 cup natural fromage frais
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp light muscovado sugar
1. Prepare the fresh pineapple by cutting off the spiky top. Peel the pineapple with a sharp knife, remove the 'eyes' and cut the flesh into thick slices.
2. To make the ginger-flavoured butter, put the butter, sugar and ginger into a small saucepan and heat gently until melted. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and keep warm at the side of the barbecue (grill), ready for basting the fruit.
3. To prepare the topping, mix together the fromage frais, cinnamon and sugar. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
4. Barbecue (grill) the pineapple slices for about 2 minutes on each side, brushing them well with the ginger butter baste.
5. Serve the charcooked pineapple with a little extra ginger butter sauce poured over. Top with a spoonful of the spiced fromage frais.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!